Monday, October 02, 2006

Bear dog


Meowma is taking over my blog today. She says she has to write about Bear dog because he crossed the bridge yesterday. She also says I must sing(pray) for him as he crosses. I wasn't very happy about this and let her know about it. She relented and told me that she understood that I didn't want to sing him across (being that he is a dog, and he did like to chase cats).....but she told me that I had to sing for his beans. She reminded me that his beans would come play with me and that his bean mama would come feed me and torment...I mean play with me. So, here is Meowma.

I paws today to remember Bear. He was not my dog, but belonged to good friends of mine. I don't recall how long he was on this earth, but do know that he lived a long, good life.

I remember him first as a small black ball of fluff. So tiny and cute with that black tongue hanging out. Playing and nipping with or at anyone who would get near him. I missed some of his years as I was in school and then moved and lived an hour away. The times whe I would visit....once he realized that he knew me, he would greet me joyously and let me enter the house. He was a good protector. He liked to chase the neighborhood or stray cats that would wander around (much to my dismay). When his beans would get ready to go on the mountain (camping) his whole body would wiggle in anticipation. He knew what all that packing meant. He could hardly wait to get up there and start chasing those "fat butts" (some kind of rodent, don't ask their actual name....I don't recall it). He also had many friends on the mountain...both the bean kind and the canine kind. He was a well-behaved dog and was welcome at all camps. He would go for walks each morning with his bean Mom (Teena) and would go visiting with his bean Dad (Frank). When he wasn't chasing fat butts, walking or visiting he was happy to curl up in the shade and enjoy the cooler weather. All that fur kept him quite warm.

Quite often his bean Mom would brush, bathe and trim him. While he wasn't happy with this whole process, I think he felt pretty good once it was all done. And he always looked so handsome when she was done. As he got older his Mom took him to a pet spa where he could walk up into a big tub to be washed. I think the funnest thing for him here was how wet he could get his Mom. I think she came back as wet or wetter than he was.

In his later years he would lay on the front porch. He watched all the activities around him, barked at those critters he thought were a danger and just relaxed. He always loved a good scratch behind the ears and eagerly looked forward to "treat" time. And he still looked forward to going up on the mountain...even if he aging body wouldn't let him chase fat butts like he wanted to.

This past weekend he got to enjoy a last trip to the mountains. His Mom tells me he wasn't feeling well so they loaded up to get him home and to the (dreaded) vet. His Mom rode with him in the back of the truck and he passed with his head lying in her lap. She informed me of his death through her tears and we talked a bit about him.

He has friends at the bridge, so he won't be alone. He is also healthy and running around like that small black ball of fluff again. I know that he will be happy to greet his beans when it is their time to cross the bridge. Until then we all remember him with much love.

Juniors Meowma

9 Comments:

Blogger LZ said...

As woofies go he sounded like a very nice woofie. It is sad when friends animals go to the bridge. We will sing for him with our loud meezer songs!

October 02, 2006 11:14 AM  
Blogger Sadie said...

Woofies can be good friends sometimes. I am sorry your friend went to the bridge.

I will sing for him too!

October 02, 2006 1:49 PM  
Blogger Angel Junior, Orion and Sammy said...

grr, midnight & cocoa,

Yes the woofie was a chow. Meowma liked to pet his ears too!

October 02, 2006 3:34 PM  
Blogger Quinn and Angel brandi said...

We will pray for his passing, too. He will meet lots of friends at the Rainbow Bridge, and will be waiting for those that have remained in the Here.

October 02, 2006 5:00 PM  
Blogger Just Ducky said...

Maybe the rainbow we saw here Saturday stopped by to pick him up. Purrs to all those who will miss him.

October 02, 2006 6:27 PM  
Blogger Rascal said...

Beautifully written. Purrs to Bear Dog's family and friends.

October 02, 2006 9:58 PM  
Blogger Gemini said...

It is furry sad to hear. It is good that he was so loved and you were furry nice, Junior to let your Momma write about it.

October 03, 2006 10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We send headbutts and purrs to Bear's beans.

October 03, 2006 2:31 PM  
Blogger KC and the Giggleman Kitties said...

o, junior, ur Bear sounds so nice. my big sisfur Bear is a woofie, hers is old, too, she's almost 17 years old.

i will sings for ur Bear. it wuz nice of u to tell us about ur Bear.

my mommies eyes be waterin. she sez ur Bear had a great life 'n beans that reely loved him.

We'll include Bear in our Purrrrayer List and in tha Prayer Circle tomorrow night.

See the Pet Prayer & Praise bloggie for details.

October 03, 2006 8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home