Monday, December 31, 2007

Baby is inside......

I don't know if Meowm wanted me to announce this or not, but I think she can use all the help she can get. Below is what Meowm posted on a couple of other sites after bringing Baby in:

I don't know if I have done the right thing. I haven't seen her eat much or drink much. She shakes and shivers. I was on my porch a couple of times today and moved her home around....she didn't have even the smallest desire to jump out and run. So tonite, I made room in my bathroom, went outside, grabbed the winter home and brought her in. She got spooked about the time we got to the bathroom and jumped out. She has a litterbox, some food and water in there. I sat down on the floor, pushed some food toward her and she shows no interest. I pushed the water toward her and she drank some. I was able to scritch around her one ear and pet on her back. I took a towel in and tucked it by the toilet.....kind of a little nook for her to hide in. Her winter home is still in there.

I can't afford to take her to the vet till I get paid again on this coming Friday....and then the vet that works with the ferals and No More Homeless Pets won't take her on Saturday, so I am looking at a week from tomorrow before I can get her to the vet. The bathroom has no window so all light will have to be from the regular light or a night light. I am willing to leave the light on during the day and a night light at nite. I hope the fan running with the regular light on won't bother her.

I am terrified that she has something that Junior will get. She cleaned herself alot outdoors and I don't know if she has fleas or something like that. I am terrified that I have scared her so much by bringing her inside that she will get worse. I am terrified that she will get out of the bathroom or Junior will get in the bathroom and then what a mess that will be. So far she is being quiet and I hope she stays that way cause I don't know what I will do if she starts making alot of noise.

Part of me wants to call animal control, cause at least they have experience with strays, but I figure they will put her to sleep. And I am not sure that would be a bad thing. I have no idea how sick she is. I have no idea if Junior would take to her as a sibling. I probably shouldn't try to take her in, both because of finances and because of the small space I live in (551 square foot apartment). I'm just as worried about her being indoors as I was about her being outdoors.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

So, since bringing Baby in last night Meowm has been in and out of the human litterbox room several times. I missed our bath time together but I heard her reading to Baby....someone told her that was good to get Baby used to Meowms voice. Baby has pooped a little bit and peed twice...on the floor since she doesn't know how to use the litterbox. Meowm think she has fleas as there was a small critter in the water this morning. Meowm is going to call the Humane Society today and see if they have any fosters who could take her in.....hopefully someone with more experience at this than she has. Meowm doesn't think she can keep Baby cause her first responsibility is toward me and she doesn't want to expose me to any more possible illnesses than she already has. I think Meowm is kinda overwhelmed and I don't think she will be doing this again....I don't think she feels she can handle this, because of lack of space in our home, finances and it just tears her up emotionally.

Some purrayers for a foster to be found and for Baby to get well and find a great home would be greatly appreciated. I will keep everyone posted on what happens.

8 Comments:

Blogger Gemini and Ichiro said...

If she is not actively sneezing and Junior is current on vaccines, keeping them apart via the closed door should be okay. Fleas would travel.

While her getting out, Junior getting in is a potential issue, cats kinda know there's another cat around and won't go running in and out--but will rather stand in the door and check things out for a moment.

As for her, Gemini and Cheysuli both lived in small spaces for quite some time before they were allowed to socialize with the other cats. We had to take some canned food and smear it on Gemini's mouth before she figured out that it was food and then she almost took off a finger.

Good luck with what you are doing.

December 31, 2007 10:10 AM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Just getting Baby inside and warm with plenty of food and water is a good start. It could just take her a little time to be able to relax and know she is safe. You are doing the right thing to keep Baby apart from Junior until she can be tested, and also treated for parasites. Be sure to wash your hands well after handling her. I know it can seem overwhelming, but I think things will settle down soon. Good luck!

December 31, 2007 10:38 AM  
Blogger Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Your Meowm did a wonderful thing bringing Baby in, Junior. Chey and Daisy have given you excellent advice. I hope there is a good foster home out there for Baby.

Good luck and Happy New Year!

December 31, 2007 11:41 AM  
Blogger Motor Home Cats said...

We think you did a good thing bringing Baby in, out of the cold. In is always better than out. Daisy, Chey and Gemini have all said good things. If a foster home can be found, that would be good, but if not, you should all be fine until you can get her checked out. As for whether or not you should keep her or not, that will be up to how all of you feel, but cats really don't need a lot of space. Of all the animals, we are the most adaptable about living spaces.

Good luck.

Tiki, Tavi, Cody and Camie (and our mom too)

December 31, 2007 6:06 PM  
Blogger The Furry Kids said...

Your mom did a good thing for Baby. Chey and Daisy and Gemini all gave you good tips.
We had fleas when we first came to live with Momma and Daddy. The V-E-T said to give us a bath in Pert Plus (she said it kills fleas). As far as you getting fleas, Junior, MOmma says that Revolution drops work great. You can get them from the V-E-T. Or if you weigh less than 15 pounds, Momma can send you one of our tubes (if you're ok to have the drops). She knows how much it stinks to have to wait until payday to do stuff. :(

FWIW, we had to spend a lot of time living in the litterbox room and it was ok. Momma put blankets and towels down for us and made it as cozy for us as she could. We had a tiny frosted glass window, but it was winter time, so it was pretty dark. She did leave the light on for us.

Your mom is an angel for Baby. We are purraying and sending pawsitive thoughts your way. E-mail us your snail mail address if you want the flea drops.
thefurrykids AT gmail DOT com.

(((hugs))) and purrs and happy new year to all of you.

December 31, 2007 7:16 PM  
Blogger Toffee K. Ripple Fuzzypants & Feline American Angels said...

Oh, goodness ... Your momma's a saint for trying. How tiny is Baby?

When Charmee was furry tiny, Mom washed him in the sink to get rid of fleas (she had to comb him afterward to get the corpses off of him). She carefully dried him an' kept him warm with a hot water bottle.

The best thing is to have calmness an' patience ... an' to keep the newcomer isolated in a small room like your momma is doin' ...

Good luck! Happy New Year!

DMM

December 31, 2007 10:15 PM  
Blogger Lux said...

Mom says she can imagine how you're feeling ... and she's sending you a virtual hug.

We'll be thinking the best thoughts,
Luxie & family

P.S. Happy New Year!

January 01, 2008 1:27 AM  
Blogger Motor Home Cats said...

We forgot to say Happy New Year!

Tiki, Tavi, Camie and Cody

Please keep us updated on Baby!

January 01, 2008 3:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home